• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

My job and TB exposure.

Kaneh Bosm

Bluelighter
So I work at a hospital and there is a real risk of being exposed/infected with TB. I was fairly ignorant about TB, but I started doing some online research of it and asked some of my fellow co-workers about it. I had no idea how bad a TB infection can be and how easy it is to get. One of my coworkers said that she knew someone who contracted it doing the same job I am doing and ended up quitting over it. The hospital paid for his antibiotic treatment which can last 6 months to a year. The are many health and side effects that are attributable to the treatment alone. I also was thinking, that the nature of my position has the greatest TB exposure risk out of every employee at the hospital. Yes the risk is slim but it is the highest out of all positions.

I never expected to spend more than a year at this job but after this revelation I don't want to spend another month there. It took 6+ months to find this job (I was employed elsewhere at the time) and I certainly don't want to quit this job and be unemployed.

So am I overreacting? Does the slim risk of TB worth being employed or does the risk of TB outweigh the risks associated with unemployment?

Obviously contracting any disease is a concern, especially in the medical profession. I don't think you're overreacting when it comes to your own health and well being, however, there are measures you can take to limit your chances with contracting the disease. The use of personal protective devices such as masks and gloves will limit your chances, as will good hygiene practices. In addition to this, you could also consider receiving a BCG Vaccination which is a relatively quick and easy procedure that will obviously lessen your chances of contracting the disease.

It is not feasible to wear a mask my entire shift, plus based on what I have read I would need something more heavy duty than a surgical mask. I wear gloves as much as possible but TB is an airborne bacterium so I don't know how much that is going to help.

I need to look for a new job ASAP. It is not like it is a spectacular job to begin with, I am paid shit and there is a lot of workplace drama.

Someone with active TB admitted to hospital should be in an isolation unit, period. There should be a protocol for dealing with people with TB at your hospital. TB is usually transmitted through frequent contact, so you MUST wear a mask anytime you are dealing with these patients. The N95 respirator should be good enough (its the one they use for swine flu). But your hospital should have a safety policy in place. If they don't contact your HR department or workplace health and safety. The fact that they aren't advocating personal protective equipment is scary and in my opinion down right wrong.